Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day 7. One whole week in Africa!

Day7. One whole week! Today was Sunday. Jessica stayed up almost all night last night and the chior was singing in church so we needed to be there early for the last practice. Jessica's mom wanted me to sing in the choir. We were singing Secret prayere, which would have been fine except it was in french. So Jessica slept in and I practiced the pronunciation with her mom. We were a tiny bit late for practice but I think it was okay. I didn't end up singing with the choir, I just didn't want to mess up the dynamic and a quick runthrough of the pronunciation was not enough for me to feel confident that I could sing it correctly.

We went to the branch in pheonix today. There are two branches on the island and a couple of groups. Sacrament meeting and 3rd hour were in french, but there was an english sunday school that we went to. We talked about the higer law, it was very good. And it was ward conference so the district president was there and taught third hour. And actually the branch president gave his talk in english and french during sacrament meeting.

After church there was a bring and share (what they call a potluck) and Jessica's parents had a lot of appointments so they left and we got a ride home with John and Kristen. Jessica spent the afternoon on the beach after church. We walked down there and it was lovely. Jessica's mom found us on the beach and invited us to dinner at one of the member's house.

We went to dinner and the missionaries were there, as were the wife's brothers who are not members. So I attended my first missionary discussion! It was about the plan of salvation. And they said everything in french, creole, and english.

So here is the deal. I hate besos. Handshakes are much, much better. Especially when strange men insist on giving you besos and you can't say no because it is impolite. But I even don't like them from women, because literally every woman insists on giving me besos even when I have no idea who she is and we never even speak a word to eachother. Basically besos are just a socially accepted way for people to get up in my space and not allow me to do anything about it.

After my first week I have to say I love it here. I couldn't live here forever, I like air conditioning, no cocroaches, wide roads, cinnamon toast crunch, smart phones, and fast internet way too much. But I am so grateful to be able to spend a month here. The fruit is amazing. We eat an array of them every single morning. Every sunset is beautiful. It's so green, and the air is so clear. The ocean is calm and warm. All my acne is gone. I haven't felt even slightly ill since I got here. And I am sleeping less even without my 44oz of mountain dew. It really is a magical place and I will cherish it in my soul forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment